Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq
From a Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve News Release
SOUTHWEST ASIA, July 3, 2015 U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. yesterday and 8 a.m. today, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber and fighter aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Al Hasakah, six airstrikes struck one large and three small ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL vehicles, three ISIL structures, an ISIL building, five ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL bunker and an ISIL motorcycle.
- Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike had inconclusive results.
- Near Tal Abyad, two airstrikes destroyed two ISIL fighting positons.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 15 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Bayji, one airstrike destroyed two ISIL bunkers.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tunnel systems and an ISIL tunnel entrance.
- Near Haditha, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL bunkers, two ISIL vehicles, and an ISIL rocket system.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck land features denying ISIL a tactical advantage.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL checkpoint, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Rawah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL buildings and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL building, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL vehicle.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.